Search This Blog

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Cancer can SUCK IT!

This past weekend was the Relay For Life in my area. If you don't know, Relay For Life is walk to cure cancer. They raise money for cancer awareness and research. There are many fundraisers out there, but this one is particular to me because cancer has affected my family. My grandmother and an aunt have died of cancer. And my mother is living with cancer. Thankfully my mom is doing great and she doesn't need treatment.
Relay is a great event for people who have either survived cancer or has been affected in some way by cancer. I think its a very therapeutic event. The survivors walk to show that cancer didn't beat them! And the rest can show their support and love. Not only that, they can DO something.
In my experience with my mother's cancer, I felt helpless. This was something that was happening to her and I couldn't do anything. I think Relay can help with those feelings that i'm sure others have felt as well.
Other ways to help are donating knitted projects such as hats for treatment patients.
There are a few organizations that collect knit caps and send them to cancer treatment centers. HeadHuggers has a large selection of patterns. Also, Chemocaps.com. Each website has its own directions on suggested yarn and also how to send in your donation. Also, check your local cancer treatment center to see if they take handmade donations.
Some people donate, some people walk, but i like to knit!

No comments:

Post a Comment